Thursday 9 April 2015

The Main Character - Sculpting and Texturing the Accessories

My next step for the character is to sculpt and texture the accessories and remaining parts of the character's outfit:


I also went ahead and modeled some additional parts to the character's outfit:


I wanted to add some additional details to the character's back, as this would be where the camera would mostly be focused.

I added belt pouches, bottles and a map, as I thought they would be a fitting addition to a character who is often travelling and adventuring.

Additionally I modeled a shoulder pad and a cloth wrap for his waist.

I sculpted the waist cloth first:


I sculpted the cloth in the same manner as I did the cloth on the main outfit, mainly through the use of the cloth brushes and alphas.

I also lowered the subdivision levels and sent it back to 3ds max as a slightly more detailed mesh.

For the shoulder I didn't do too much:


I used a curve insert mesh brush to do the detail on the should pad. This was a really nice brush to use to insert some ornate details to the shoulder pad. Only downside is it creates alot of extra geometry which can create lag in a heavy scene.

For the belt pouches I just concentrated on smaller details:


I used alphas to create the stitching on the pouches, I didn't want to go overboard with details as much of it would come from the material creations in the Quixel suite and dDo.

It was the same case with the map:


For the leather part of the glove's bracelet, I made sure to copy the style of the glove:



I used the same brushes to create the metal bolts in the leather's material.

For the carapace brace, I did the same thing with the metal bolt brush:


In hindsight I probably could of used a curve brush to add more ornate designs to the bracers. But I was still in a stage of learning.

For the belts, again, I kept it simple:


Just added a few details for the normal map, and some surface noise to give them some texture.

Finally I exported my normal maps, AO maps etc from xNormal by baking the high poly to low poly models. Then I created my colour map and linked everything up in dDo.


Once I assigned my materials and tweaked them, I exported out all the maps and applied them to my model.


I'm very happy with how the shoulder came out, the use of the curve brush worked really when it was being baked down into the various maps.

I might alter the color scheme a bit, namely on the waist cloth as its a bit too similarly to Assassin's creed, with all the leather.

I think I could consider adding more embroiderment to the belts, just to add more detail overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment