Sunday 5 April 2015

The Main Character - Texturing the Head and Hair

I decided to approach the hair again. This time around I wanted to use planes to build up the hair. I began with using a sphere and shaping pieces of it around the head.


Once I had the bigger 'pieces' of the hair put in place, I made smaller planes and built up the hair further.


I made sure each copied piece was uv unwrapped so that they can share textures. 

I created the ponytail out of a cluster of smaller planes:


I carried on adding smaller pieces, this time shaping them like strands. I also modelled the braid and hair bands out of simple primitives.


Once I was happy with the hair strands, I went ahead and began texturing them. I decided to texture this by hand, as approaching hair from a PBR perspective was confusing and wasn't much information available.


I used this base texture as a guide to creating the alpha for the character's hair:


Before texturing the head and rest of the hair, I went made some adjustments and added further detail to the main character's head sculpt:


I also textured the braid and bands on the character's hair:


I focused on adding smaller details to the bands.

Once I had exported the maps from the high poly sculpts. I set up my maps for dDO to get ready for textures.


I then followed the usual method of applying materials to my different colour ids.


Once done, I exported the maps and applied them to my model.


I'm somewhat happy with the results of this.

I feel like the hair could use more work on their opacity map of the alpha though, which will be the next thing I focus on. I wish there was more information on creating hair for PBR textures out there at the time of making this, as it is somewhat unclear on how to get a decent result.

I'm also not completely happy with the face, and I'll probably re approach it for another sculpt.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing very nice detailed information. Please check haute her tips

    ReplyDelete