Monday 3 December 2012

3d Lesson 11 - Unwrap Model

This week I had to texture a pre-made model that hadn't been UV Unwrapped.


Using the UVW Unwrap tool, much like the same way I did for the t-shirt model. I had to find the seams in the model in order to texture it, I also used the relax tool to expand the map and pixels to prevent stretching.


I really disliked the model as it had terrible clipping and the textures poked through with rough edges. The eyes also bulged out and I couldn't fix it in the render. Still as an exercise I am satisfied with the texturing, there was a few stretching incidents, but it otherwise came out well.

 

Finally I did a quick exercise to produce a texture from a photo using Photoshop.


Using the grid overlay view and transform tool in photoshop, I was able to take a part of the bulding and skew it so that it was flat and not at an angle. I've done this before but I never thought to use the grid overlay before, and it was incredibly helpful, I'll definitely not overlook it in the future as it speeds up the process and makes the texture more accurate.


Then all I had to do was place the texture onto a box, and preserve the uvs so I can extrude the windows into the building.

This was a quick method to produce textures for buildings but I found it helpful and can see it coming in handy for creating low poly assests.

No comments:

Post a Comment