Wednesday 17 April 2013

3d Lesson 20 - Maya Death Star Turret Normal Maps


Since the last update with the Maya turret we've mainly been texturing it, and learning how to make normal maps in Maya.


To start with I would duplicate the turret, and add additional details to it - increasing the poly count and adding depth and bumps. After sorting out the uv maps on the original lower poly model, I exported both turrets soon after.


 Using a program called xNormal I generated an ambient and normal map from the higher res model which could be applied to the lower polygon turret- giving it extra details without the higher polygon count. I also used the ambient map as the base for my colour/diffuse texture.

I found this a useful method overall as it can really add additional detail to a model making it stand out, whilst still being optimised with the lower polygon count.

No comments:

Post a Comment