Sunday 14 April 2013

Mudbox Lessons 1 &2 - Experiment and Old Man

Lesson 1 - Experiment

My first two Mudbox lessons served as an introduction to the program, and a means to familiarize with the tools.

The first lesson we were not given a task in particular just simply had to adjust to playing with the various tools.

I found the program very easy to use, but with obvious depth to separate veteran users from new ones.

I enjoyed the various sculpting tools as you could easily achieve a result instantly, and the layer system was similar to that in Photoshop that allowed me to put detail atop detail.


For this piece I played around with the various brush tools, and just had fun pulling and molding the face model. It's nothing special at all, but I had fun with the piece.

Lesson 2 - Old Man

Our second lesson we had to create an old man's face from a photo-reference, it sounded difficult but actually proved to be quite simple.



We were shown how to use the stencil tool that could paint or even transfer detail from an image onto the model, it's a really cool feature that can actually make modelling and texturing so much easier.


I started by only painting the front of the man's face on via the stencil tool, then I simply used the photo as a reference and just modeled the face to match the man's as best I could, adding additional subdivision layers for more detail.


I'm fairly pleased with how the piece came out, I found out I could also paint the texture in Photoshop and transfer it over, which is another nice feature. I had the most difficulty with the ears, as it's very difficult to model them, at least at this stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment