Wednesday 17 April 2013

Mudbox Lessons 3 & 4: Zombie Thing and Muscles

Lesson 3 - Zombie Thing

Following our studies on the human skeleton we were tasked with trying to create a skeleton in Mudbox. However this proved too challenging at the time we were allowed to create a zombie/flesh skeletal creature instead.



I started off with a skeleton reference and simply painted off where the various bones would be onto the model to act as a guide.


I experimented with using the mask tool as well, however it didn't work very well at all, as half the time it wouldn't mask or it would mess up the model when using the sculpt tool. Overall I found the task very difficult and I wasn't happy with my results at all, so I ended up giving up on it.


I think with more practice I could achieve a better result, but at the time I found it too challenging. Still at least it resembles a skeleton-thing.

Lesson 4 - Muscles

Our next task was focused on muscle anatomy and we had to create a sort of flayed sculpture showing off the muscles.



 This was alot easier than the skeleton sculpt, I started off with using an image of muscles as a stencil and filled in where the muscles were on the body. Next I just sculpted and raised the actual muscles, and chiseled into the gaps between them.


Adding additional subdivision levels made it easier to define the muscle on the model.


I was a more pleased with this outcome than the skeleton one, it's definitely not perfect but I found it a fun exercise in learning anatomy and mapping the muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment