Thursday 3 April 2014

Vertical Slice: Character Design


My task for our Vertical Slice Project, was to design and create the player character and enemies in our world.


 I did a few initial sketches for the some of characters we would have. Since our game is a colourful platformer we were looking at animal protagonists.


We eventually decided on a sort of voodoo/shamanistic theme for our game, here I created some ideas for what some of items and weapons we could have in the world.


Next thing we looked at were enemy designs, and ideas for creatures in the world. Keeping in mind this is a voodoo based game, and our level takes place in a swamp, I wanted to look at sort of enemies that could belong in both worlds.

The image on the right was an idea for a potential boss character that would live and swim around in a swamp.

Next was deciding on the outfit and design for our character. We agreed on having him be an otter, so I did some sketches of difference outfits, with the one on the far right being the design we all agreed on.


I did a more detail paint up of the character, however after some discussion I edited the colours so that it would be more bloomy and bright, to appeal to a more general audience, as the washed out colours were sort of bleak.

No comments:

Post a Comment