Tuesday 1 April 2014

World Building 11 - Tentacle Treasure Chest



For this two-week assessment project, we had to create a treasure chest based off the provided concept art (above). We had the following restrictions:


  • 2500 Triangle Limit.
  • 1024*1024 Diffuse, Normal and Specular texture.
  • Textures must have a painted quality to them to match the art style.


To start with I just simply created two boxes and began to shape them to resemble the treasure chest. I found it easier to work with two objects separately like this, as I could isolate each individual part and really concentrate on it. I created the gems out of spheres, which I then cut in half, and then extruded the spikes on top of the chest's lid.


I made the legs as separate objects, though in hindsight and advice from Tanguy it would of been better to of had them as an extrusion from the body of the chest, so that the model was blended. Still it was a good learning experience and it was a challenge to keep within the triangle limit even when trying to keep the form of the object.


After I had unwrapped the model, I generated a normal map using mudbox, then used nDo2 to start putting together a normal for the fine details. Using nDo2 I generated a diffuse map, then started adding colour and further details, before finally adding specular. I did the textures by hand using my tablet and nDo2, however in hindsight I think photo sourcing the concept art would of been a better way to achieve the more painted texture and design. 

Finally for rendering and presentation purposes I brought the model into MarmosetToolBag2 and applied my materials and set up some nice lighting for rendering:


Overall I felt I've learnt quite a bit when using the program, the advise and feedback I've gotten from the project has been very helpful, and the use of tools like nDo2 hasn't definitely helped to speed up my workflow for quicker and better results. In hindsight, as I pointed out before, I think I would of attached the legs to the chest's body and probably spent more time on the seams to get it look that bit nicer.


No comments:

Post a Comment