Wednesday 14 May 2014

Vertical Slice - The Enemy Monkey

For the enemies in our world we decided to go with the Monkey and Firefly these two were the enemies that were most likely to be done in time.


I started with a low poly sculpt model this time round, as I wanted to do most of my work in mudbox. Since one I was happy with my simple geometry I sent it to mudbox to be sculpted.


Most of the work and heavy lifting was going to be done in the normal maps so I made sure to concentrate on a higher quality sculpt. I used the fur stencil often to get the right affect for the clumps of hair.


I painted the textures in mudbox, but I decided the monkey needed a lot more detail so I started experimenting more with planes and texture cards like I did with the fur for the otter.


I also created a Rig for Nick to animate the character, using the same method as I did for the Otter.


I was very happy with the results especially the use of planes to create additional geometry and texture, I learnt alot when it came to layering them to create interesting models and shapes.


Here's another render from different views.


Overall I was really happy with the monkey, I managed to put him together in a much quicker time with as much quality as the main character almost. With this character I can see my skills have indeed improved. If I had more time I think I would of created additional hair and fur planes on his body.

No comments:

Post a Comment