Wednesday 6 May 2015

The Main Character - Sculpt tweaks and changes

After receiving some feedback from a visiting lecturer from Lionhead studios. I decided to go ahead and correct some of the issues with the model that he pointed out.

The first was the character's trousers. He felt that the wrinkles were not convincing enough where they were, so I went back to them looking at references and making them follow the part of the model that would be tightest.


I then wanted to expand on the detail of the legs, so I experimented with the curve brush to add some embroiderment to the model.

I really like how this came out, as it takes them from being a rather normal/bland trousers to something a bit more interesting.

For the tunic I decided to give it a leather texture, so that I could help break up the form and colors of the character's outfit a bit more.


I wanted to add additional texture and a variety of materials to create a more interesting outfit.

The original idea of a leather scarf thing wasn't very convincing.

So I went back and looked at some actual silk shoulder-pads.

One of the more useful references I found was this:

 

I decided to copy this design, as it served the purpose I was looking for.


I concentrated on exaggerating the folds and wrinkles, so that the fabric appeared loose and free.
I felt this came out quite well, as the folds had a nice flow to them around the player's shoulders and neck.


I also added a patch at the back of the scarf, to make it appear more worn and used.

For a fine embellishment I added some additional pattern along the edge.

For the character's head I concentrated on tweaking the anatomy and overall form. 


There was some proportional issues, but attempted to go and correct them foremost. Such as making the ears smaller and inline with the eyes and mouth. Correcting the eyelids. And adding edges/bumps to the side of the skull.


After refining the actual form, I went and added more detail to the skin and facial features - for example I added more cracks/texture to the lips and pores along the skin.


I felt that the additional details have definitely brought more life to the character.

I'm very pleased with different layers of materials and texture to them. I'm hoping this will bring more life to the materials in the quixel suite when I'm creating my final textures.

The next time I want to do a humanoid model, I think I will definitely have a go at creating and sculpting the model itself in zbrush. I intend to do this with my additional knowledge of how to use subtools and extracting meshes from exisiting ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment