Wednesday 6 May 2015

The Main Character - Retexturing and Finalising

When it came to finishing the Main character's model and textures, I made a few additions to the hair first:


It wasn't much but I moved around and added some more planes, to further bulk up the hair, and make it less blocky/dreadlock-like. The intention was to add more layers with the alpha maps, namely through the strands flicking off his head.

When it came to texturing the character I wanted to push for more color variation:


That being said, I didn't want to overwhelm the player with too many characters on the outfit. Instead I choose three primary colors for the fabrics and a brass material for metal. I felt his worked well as it helped to create some nice variation in the character's outfit - the cloth and leather complimenting each other.

For my renders I used the control rig Nik made to pose my character:


I then sent the model over to Marmoset.






I'm pleased with the results I got for our player character, even if did change a fair amount from the original concept.

The two biggest hurdles was definitely learning to juggle both learning zBrush and anatomy. This is really my first human character and I feel that I've done a decent job on him. He's definitely not perfect - his face is still a little off to me and the skin textures can still use more work. But for a first attempt I've learnt a lot and I am looking forward to applying that knowledge to a new project.

As an additional note I wish I also picked a different hairstyle, as the one I went for was very hard to create and make convincing. But I gave it my best attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment