Wednesday 6 May 2015

The Gorge Bridge - Modelling and Texturing




To transverse the vast gorge in our game, we needed a large bridge to cross it.
I started off by creating a plane roughly the same length/width of the gorge itself.
I originally intended to make a traditional model of a bridge.

However we decided that a) we wanted it to be a modular piece, and b) something more natural/less man made would be better in terms of context for the scene.
For this natural/carved bridge shape I was looking at fantasy rock bridges, such as the dwarven bridge of Khazadum in The Lord of the Rings:



I constructed a column with a small pathway on top, I felt this would give the best general shape. I could then attach the pieces together to form a bridge across the gorge in Unity.


I added some additional details using the bevel and extract tool - such as a large rail, and some insignia in the side of the bridge.


After unwrapping it in roadkill, I sent the bridge into mudbox, and began sculpting it a rocky surface.


I mainly used tileable alphas and the dam strandard tool, to bring out the rocky details.


In hindsight I think I might of overdone it with the rocks sticking out, I think a smoother surface at least on the collumn, would of been a better option.


I then re-unwrapped the model, so I could capture the unique details on the high-poly model. (Originally I had mirrored uvws)


When I was done with the unwrapping, I added some caps to the end of the bridge, incase it got separated.


As usual I baked out various maps and put the model into dDo.


I had to mess around with the textures a fair amount, as it was hard to find a material that didn't appear too dull. I experimented between the concrete and stone statue textures, until I found the result I liked.



Overall I wasn't completely happy with the result of this model.

I feel that the textures were rather dull, and the model itself was lacking.

I think if I have time to revisit it, I would like to add alot more detail to the bridge itself, although we wanted it to be a natural, I think a few crafted details would add lot more life to the model.


No comments:

Post a Comment