Wednesday 6 May 2015

The Bird Boss - Texturing and Finalising

My goal with the bird was to update his textures to support PBL.

I didn't add much extra to the actual model, other than some additional feathers:


After exporting the new maps from the updated zBrush sculpt, I created and messed around with the materials to get the effect I was after:


I used the hair material for the feathers, and two diffrent flesh materials for the rest of the body.

I took some inspiration from From Software's Bloodbourne when it came to the texture of the bird:


Namely I wanted him to be darker, wetter and overall more gross and intimidating to the player.

Therefore I upped the gloss values of the model slightly.

Like I did with the Wurm, I took a pose from one of Nik's animations:


Then when all was in place, I created some renders in Marmoset:



I'm really glad I updated the textures. I feel the new materials look really great and bring out more detail in the bird as well.

In the future I think I would like perhaps use less planes on the bird's mesh, have them be bigger and longer to add more overall shape.

I also think I should of made the actual mesh higher poly, to better capture the sculpted detail.

Still I'm pleased with the results, and the model proved to be a good learning experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment