Monday 21 January 2013

2d Lesson 12 - Insectoid Brief

Character Description:

An insectoid/human hybrid from a far off solar-system. Eons of evolution and DNA splicing has bred a distinctive species of mammals that have developed the extra appendages and wings of their bug-like ancestors. However due to the diluted human breeding over time the species had lost their ability to develop and grow their natural exoskeleton as well as many infants being born spineless. To compensate an exoskeleton is fused to the individual's body at birth, providing them the protection they need to survive the harsh, dry and irradiated terrain of their home world, whilst allowing them to move with their invertebrate skeleton.


Research and References:

Insect main features:
  • Six legs.
  • Segmented bodies.
  • Supported with a carapace exoskeleton made from chitin.
  • Usually have two wings, but can have four or even none.
  • Insects are invertebrates.
Honeypot Ants develop large abdomens that store honey, which they can then use for food and energy. The honey can be seen glowing in their abdomen.


The exoskeleton is generally divided into sub sections to allow movement of the different muscles. 


Chitin is acts like armour on an insect, protecting it's small frame.



Most insects possess exterior mandibles on their exo-skeleton, to aid them in digging or tearing up food.


Some insects such as spiders possess shiny, reflective black eyes - closer to a mammal.


Concept:

Initially I started off with some rough sketches - I set out with an idea of creating a humanoid/insect hybrid, but I wanted to avoid the cliches of an insect head on a human body. Instead I was hoping to try and find a way to morph a human into possessing distinctly insect features - whilst still holding onto human qualities - such as a face and humanoid figure.


 I settled on the idea of the third sketch as I felt it possessed the more humane side of a character, but you could still see the insect's origins from first glance. Still I wanted to use the carapace design and mandibles from the second and first sketches to flesh out the character's insect origins a bit more.


I added some additions of a honeypot power source, as used by ants - I thought this would be a decent way to give a sci-fi edge to the character, as well as it giving him a plausible explanation for insect based weaponry. I'm fairly happy with how the design came out - as a character I feel he could work well as a companion in a game, or perhaps an enemy in a shooter. If I had more time I think I would of attempted to work a more unique design onto his head - but as it stands I am fairly happy with the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment