Sunday 13 January 2013

3d Lesson 12 - Biped Animation


 

This week I had to experiment with the Biped tool in 3ds max - which is used to create animations and rig/apply them to a character model. I found the tool to be very useful and I understand it will be crucial component to creating characters in a video game.


To begin with I generated the standard biped model and then messed with the proportions to better understand how the system worked. When I was done, I loaded up a supplied animation file and watched how it animated my biped.




 The next task was to edit some of the existing movement animation which I did, altering one of the current walk files animation using the layer tool - so I kept the same movement, but added alterations to it. In this case I did a sword and shield - it's very rough, but I found it a good way to start learning.



Another feature I tried out was the flex filter - which added a sort of jiggle based phsyic to an oject. I found this a fun to use to create a nose for the biped - but it would be better overall to use bones to animate.



Finally we tried animating a pre-made model using the biped in this case a skeleton.


In this case it was a task of lining up the biped skeleton with the skeleton model, then attatching each of the model's bones to the biped's. I had trouble with the fingers, but decided to leave them - as it would take too much work to break them apart. Overall I found this exercise a good introduction to animating and the biped tool, and I hope to expand my use of it and refine my animations and movements.


No comments:

Post a Comment