Sunday 27 January 2013

3d Lesson 15 - Maya Death Star Turret


This 3d lesson was an introduction to using Maya as opposed to 3ds Max. We were briefed with recreating a low-poly model of one of the gun turrets from Star Wars.


To begin with I created a box and simply used the extrusion tool to create the bottom stack of the turret. I found the program to be quite useful in terms of easily manipulating shapes, however I did have trouble navigating the interface as a whole.


I created a second box for the top of the turret, and used the extrusion tool to make two slots for the where the guns went, I also found the bevel tool useful when it came to making the edges smoother.


Finally I made the gun barrels out of cylinders and extruded and scaled the different lengths, all that was left was to line them up with the head of the turret and add a few last details.

I like Maya for the way you can easily manipulate and extrude existing faces, and for the quality of the render - however I really find the interface to be unintuitive at the moment - but I suppose that will change in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment