Monday 18 February 2013

2d Lesson 17 - Blending and Filters

This week we looked at using the  techniques featured in the artist Daarken's blending and debut tutorials.


The first was just a simple exercise on using the pen pressure to blend and smooth the head model. This technique wasn't anything new to me since I already use it, but I still found his chalk brushes to produce a nice effect.


We then had to follow his debut tutorial to create a grungy piece. I started off with a rough sketch, before filling in the basic values in black and white. I used Daarken's brushes for painting the grungy background, - the chalk one mainly.


My text task was to start adding some lighting and shadows - using overlay and dodge layers. I also added shadows in on multiply layers, along with some smoke to hide the unfinished part of the body.


I finished off by adding some extra glow, and just continuing to work in the shadows. I also used color balance layers to change the overall tone.


I'm in a mixed mind with how this came out. I think the lighting is OK  but it's bleached out the image due to the character's pale skin, I like the design of the character and Daarken's brushes really helped speed up the process of sketching him out, I feel like my knowledge of lighting and shadow is improving and I have found some useful techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment