Monday 25 February 2013

2d Lesson 18 - Fire and Rock

 

The first thing we practiced this lesson, was to create lava convincingly using layer effects and blending in Photoshop. I practiced with a few designs first but wasn't happy with any of them, so I ended up painting a gargoyle, it's a rather simple sketch but I feel it's dynamic and I like the movement.

For the lava, I simply painted out the red markings where I wanted them to go, before adding the lava in on top using the layer effects shown in class.

 

Then second task was to use texture and minimal color to create a rock creature. I ended up going with the idea of the Greek Titan Atlas - who holds up the world. I had a lot of fun with this brief, and mine lesson in anatomy helped out greatly, I looked at a few reference images - most of which featuring a man being burdened with the weight of the world. I wanted to keep him as a recognizable human figure, but I think I gave his body enough texture and form to pass off as a giant mountainous force. I think an area for improvement could of been the feet, but I think I achieved the task of drawing attention to the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment