Monday 25 March 2013

2d Lesson 20 - Skeleton Anatomy Study

This week's brief was to study the human skeleton, do research and paint an illustration annotating various bones on the skeleton.

Research

  • Humans have 24 ribs, consisting of 12 pairs - the first seven and most visible ribs are known as the true ribs and attach directly to the sternum.
  • The skeleton has a variety of joints that include:
    • Fibrous joints connect the bones and restrict movement.
    • Cartilaginous joints connect the bones with cartilage and allow little movement.
    • Synovial joints allow for the most movement. 
    • The Hinge joint allows extension and retraction of an appendage. 
    • The Saddle joint allows movement back and forth and up and down, but no rotation.
    • Ball and socket joints allow for radial movement in all directions.
    • Ellipsoid joints allow radial movement but to a lesser degree.
    • Pivot joints can rotate limbs around an axis.
    • Plane/Gliding joints allow bones to slide past each other.
  • Females tend to have larger pelvis bones than males.
  • The fore-arm consists of two bones, the radial and the ulna that twist around one another to form movement in the fore-arm.
  • The segmented sections of the spine slide over one another to form bends and movement in the body.

To begin my study, I started with a few sketches of various different bones.



I first looked at the various different types of joints, and drew examples of them from reference, I was surprised at the variety of joints and how machine like they were. I made sure to annotate the way the different joints move for reference - this will help me in the future, when posing characters as I'll be able to know which limb can move in which direction.


The second lot of sketches was just of a few bones that I wouldn't be studying up close in the full body skeleton illustration, I decided to pick some of the larger bones, and just had fun sketching out they are formed and connected.


 I started off by simply sketching out the rough location of the bones and from reference, it wasn't particularly difficult - and it actually comes across as being quite easy to pose the skeleton when you realize how the joints are connected.

Once I had gotten all poses painted, I made some corrections to the shadows and lighting, and also altered the length of the legs as they were looking a little short.



When I was happy with what I had I made a copy with annotations to the various bones and joints.



Overall I m pleased with the outcome, although admittedly I had little time to work on it, as due to the myuca website being down for me, I only received the assignment the night before, but given the limited time I feel I've done well and broadened my understanding of the human skeleton in this quick study and illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment