Friday 15 November 2013

World Building 5 - Surrealism

This week in world building we had to produce a piece that was surreal and a bit on the strange side.


I started off with just producing a moodboard consisting of strange and surrealistic pieces. The term surrealism is so broad it was quite hard to pin down an exact theme. I decided to settle on something weird, but a bit colorful as well.

I decided to do a 2d painting for this week, however due to lack of time from working on other projects, I found myself having to dive right into painting the piece.


Started off with a really rough sketch of the characters, I then dropped in some base colours, and minor shading for the background.


I added detail and further adding shade to the environment and characters.

 

When I was happy with the basic form and shade, I began to add highlights, and more shadows, as well as playing with the exposure settings to make the colours less flat.


Overall I was pleased with how the lighting came out on the scarecrow character, but everything else I am not pleased with. I'm not sure why, maybe it was due to having less time eto work on it this week, or that the idea didn't really match the image I had in my head. I would rather start the piece from the ground up, as I cannot really think of anything to add or change that would make me happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment