Wednesday 27 November 2013

World Building 6 - Christmas Card

This week we were tasked with designing a christmas card, to be printed out on A6.

For this project I was working with Ricardo Costa.


We started off with a rough sketch in order to get the idea and artstyle for the card, we opted for a more blocky/cartoony theme and rather than focusing on just Santa, we decided to have a bit more of a narrative.

For this Project we were going for a mix of illustration and 3d paintover to achieve the final the design.

Ricardo produced and created the major models that were needed, whilst I posed and rendered them, and brought them into photoshop to handle the illustration and paintover.


First we did was put the Reindeer into the scene, once Ricardo finished the model I posed it using the CAT system in 3ds max, then brought it it into photoshop in ordered to be painted. I did the same thing with the Sleigh.

The second model to be added was the child and christmas tree scene. Same as before with the reindeer, though this time I messed with glow effects for the lights on the tree.


Ricardo did a great job on the present machine and I had fun painting the details into it. However as I was working on the image, I decided to drop the tone the background down, as the white was clashing too much with the colours and scene.

We decided to change the angle of the Machine render, in order to make it more 3d/isometric. Unfortunately I had to re-paint it, but we still had time on our side. Next I did a quick render of the desk models Ricardo made.

I illustrated the students in the scene, although I was getting frustrated with how they looked, but deadline was approaching at this point.


The final addition to the scene was the final model of Santa that Ricardo did. I took it into the scene, but this time I set the render to Overlay and painted beneath it, in order to preserve the great lighting from the render.

Once we were happy with the composition of the card, I put together a border and Ricardo produced some text to finish the Card off.



Also did a variant with a different background.



Overall, I had mixed feelings on the result of this project. Personally I don't like the results of my illustrations, we had a lot of work during this week, which made it hard for me to give the project my all, however I will say it was a good exercise in teamwork, and producing a brief with a second person.

No comments:

Post a Comment