Monday 26 November 2012

2d Lesson 9 - Character Design




In this lesson I  had to use Sculptriss to design a steam punk frog character.

I started with a basic sketch to give me a rough idea of what to make.



The Sculptriss program works in a similar way to Z-brush in the fact that we have to sculpt and mould the model, rather than work with polygons. I found it fun to use and the click and drag control scheme very user friendly.


Once I had a basic model done, I simply rendered it and took it into photoshop to be painted over. I found this a good way to quiclly design organic things and it eliminates the need for doing line art. I really enjoyed this method of designing characters and I hope to do more of it in the future.

As for the painting I was happy with my character's design, I had to create the model if photoshop when I did my paint over, but otherwise Sculptriss supplied a solid base. I think I maybe should add goggles to the frog or something to maybe make the Steampunk theme more obvious, but other than that I think it holds up as a concept well enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment