Wednesday 11 March 2015

The Main Character - Sculpting the Bare Arm, Boots and Hands

For the next stage of sculpting I was finishing off the rest of the clothing.


Once again I used zBrush, I started with the arm this time.

I wanted to increase the arm's musculature:


I used the claybuild up brush, to increase the mass and add definition.


I also added extra details such as veins with the standard brush.

Once again I didn't add texture to the sculpt, as I wanted to use dDo for those details.


I went in and further exaggerated the shape and size of the arm as well, until I was satisfied with its size.

For the boots I once again used the wrinkle brushes, I used on the other clothes:


I also used a seam alpha and the standard brush, to create a seam/change of material around the center of the boot. I tried to align the wrinkles with where the boot strap's are going to sit.

For the hands, I seperated the fingers from the gloves. This was so I can avoid sculpting on the wrong part of the model, and to avoid bleeding when baking the normals.

I started with the palm/glove part of the hand first:


I used the wrinkle brush for the gloved part of the hand, creating wrinkles where the leather stretches. For the brass bolts, I used a greebo alpha on a high intensity to help sharply raise the surface. And finally I used a seam brush to, well, create the seams.


For the fingers, I only really concentrated on bringing out the nails, as detail wise they would rarely been seen. I masked the area of where I wanted the fingernail. Then simply raised the surface.

Finally I bounced the details back to a lower subdivision, and sent it back to 3ds max:


I'm enjoying working in zBrush.

Although obviously I'm still learning, I'm discovering new tools and new ways to increase my general work flow. For improvement, I think I could of spent a bit more time in the arm. Perhaps more time on refining its silhouette and giving it a bit more of an edge in areas that protrude.

No comments:

Post a Comment