Thursday 26 March 2015

The Main Character - Head pt2

For this task I was focused on improving the head sculpt, and attempting to the sculpt hair as an actual model, as opposed to relying on the fibermesh and planes.

I began afresh with the latest low poly head that I had.


My main goal of the sculpt was to make him look younger, and less stern than he currently did in the previous sculpt.

I began by just making some light and minor adjustments to his features, such as bringing out his cheek bones and adam's apple more.

The difficulty was putting in enough detail on the sculpt, but not over doing it so it looked to worn and wrinkled, making him look too old.


I also made a start on actually sculpting a mesh of hair onto his head, using the claybuild up brush.


However, I realized this would look too plastic-like/fake for the type of hair we wanted to go for, on our character, so I scrapped this particular sculpt and started afresh.

I decided to instead just sculpt a thin layer of hair onto his scalp, to act as a falloff/back up texture for when I would be alpha planes on his head later.


I added some small details to the mesh at the end such as the eyebrows.


I still personally think the sculpt could use more work, but I feel it is better than the previous one. The character looks younger, and somewhat more full of life.

I think the areas of improvement are definitely the eyes and ears, but I plan return to this later, for the time being, I wanted to focus on setting up the pipeline for the textures.

No comments:

Post a Comment