Tuesday 9 October 2012

Games Encounters 1 - Unity Introduction


 In our first Game Encounters Lesson we were introduced to the Unity Engine, which was an introduction into game building itself. I found the program surprisngly straight forwards to use, you could paint in your terrain using brushes much like the primitive map makers in some games, and scaling the land with the tools was easy.


With some pre-made assests I was able to create a small island filled with trees and a coast. I also included a model of an outpost that was imported.

To make the island more of our own we made our own terrain textures and sprites in photoshop, I have done texturing before and found this process familiar and easy to pick up.


By the end of the lesson I had a wooden hut on a mountain side, surrounded by long grass, trees and a burning campfire.

I look forward to improving upon this map and hopefully applying some interaction to the piece and improving the visual design as a whole, (e.g. adding skyboxes, better shadows and shaders).


No comments:

Post a Comment